Tuesday 30 August 2011

Thing 13, Working together

In common with many other bloggers in this enterprise, at work we have access to our internal drives which means we can all work together on projects; at the moment I'm not collaborating on any project with others outside my organisation.  Also, like many others I can't download any software at work.  With these factors in mind I decided to have a look at Googledocs.

I found it remarkably straightforward to use ( I already have a google account) although getting used to "downloading" rather than just "saving" when I was working on the documents at home was a little unexpected (I was in my own little world and hadn't realised which version I was working on!) and some of the formatting was a little odd.  For my own cpd this will definitely reduce the amount of emailing documents to myself so I can access them during lunch.  I also liked the ease with which you could share information with others (without them having to download or sign up for anything) and the control that you have over the information.  I'm a little concerned about the number of google application that I'm beginning to use now - I may need to explore other options just to be on the safe side.

The only wiki I've used (with caution and usually in library information sessions as an example of "care needs to be taken") is Wikipedia, but I can see the potential of joint working with this one.  I did like the Library Routes project and may contribute my own, though it will only be of historical value as so much has changed since I entered the profession!

No comments:

Post a Comment