Monday 22 August 2011

Thing 12 - Being social

So, just what do I think about all these "new" ways of communicating.  As animals we are social beings, and that has to imply some level of organisation and communication.  We also continually strive to increase the betterment of our lives, either on an individual level, or for the collective good.  Like many other posters I agree that social media is merely a tool for us to use; how we do so is up to us.


Are there any other advantages to social networking in the context of professional development than those already outlined above?
I think it can decrease a feeling of isolation, especially in solo working.  In addition to the other points a supportive network can provide encouragement, as well as ideas and collaborative working to get the best for our users.
Can you think of any disadvantages?
 Apart from the obvious privacy issues and the demands which certain types of network instigate en masse, the biggest one for me is time management; it's another "thing" or set of "things" to incorporate into my professional life, but this is outweighed by the benefits - see below.

Has CPD23 helped you to make contact with others that you would not have had contact with normally?
Yes, although only at a quite basic level.  I've found following a couple of blogs really useful - and added one this week too! I've also foundinteresting and  timely information via Twitter (which I must start using, rather than just lurking).

Did you already use social media for your career development before starting CPD23? Will you keep using it after the programme has finished?
This has developed my usage from merely subscribing to a few RSS feeds.  I will definitely continue to use various methods, but will also try to build in some regular time to review this activity to make best use of the time available. 

In your opinion does social networking really help to foster a sense of community?
I'm not sure yet, as I'm still on the very edge of actively engaging, rather than using the majority as information seeking tools.  Currently, I can see them cementing professional groups, making communication that much easier and also a way of contacting people.  I'm not sure if this can develop into truly online communities without any other form of engagement (I've never been remotely interested in Second Life for example), but as we work in a much more distributed environment, it will certainly save on airmiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment