Tuesday 16 August 2011

Thing 10 and Thing 11- how did you get to be here?

I suppose I've taken a fairly traditional route into Librarianship.  I was working as a library assistant in a public library system, I'd always loved finding information but hadn't considered it as a career before.  I also became aware that I really enjoyed working with other people who shared my passions, outlook and  attitudes to life.
I was fortunate that there was a very good training scheme in place giving you opportunities to visit different departments and, although not on the official trainee scheme, when my intentions became clear I was encouraged to join the visits and courses too. Then to an MA in Librarianship in Sheffield and afterwards my first professional post.  I joined the Library Association (as it was then) and was encouraged by my boss to do the Chartership work as soon as I could.  Despite my grumbles under my breath he was right!  Although I did take slightly longer by a couple of years to Charter, the impetus was important, otherwise I may never have begun, nevermind, completed it.   
All this was a long time ago, and various jobs, counties, different types of service, a few re-organisations later and I am still finding information for people and have gone back to my first love of children's books, albeit in a different sector with a different slant to the user group. 
I'm surrounded by keen, enthusiastic (and younger) colleagues, whose interest has now sparked my own cpd, so I'm working towards Revalidation which I hope will invigorate my professional life.
Whilst never having had a formal mentor until now, (I value the "buddy" who is helping me with the Revalidation paperwork and re-assessment mentality)  I was incredibly lucky to have some fantastic bosses who took me under their wing, gave me sound advice and so much guidance. I have gained a great deal from having interested colleagues to talk thing through with and bounce ideas around with which helped me formulate my way of thinking.  When this is coupled with the more formal reflective frameworks of cpd it can inject new ideas and practices to evolve.  I'm hoping that the new social media can widen the scope of this participation and help me to continue to develop my professional thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment