Sunday 25 September 2011

Thing 17 - Prezi and slideshare

In common with many other people I like Prezi.  It allows you to create a contemporary feel to the visual element of your presentation, emphasising how each individual element is part of the whole and how they relate to each other.  ( I feel very much at home with this concept as I've never been that good at creating linear structures!)  What did impress me was the clarity that it will bring to my presentation planning and the ways that you can draw the audience through the narrative, and by zooming, not lose the overall picture.  I can also see the benefits of visually representing the importance of concepts by size of font - they are there but greater attention can be given to the ideas when needed - not overwhelming all the time.  It may also generate the feeling of a much more "spontaneous delivery" of a talk, as it appears a little less like notes for a written speech and more in line with sharing images and ideas.  That said, the ideas still have to be there in the first place!  I think that many of the points that are made in "steal this presentation!"  still apply to using Prezi though - if I can combine the two people may just stay awake during my talks?

I've only really encountered Slideshare when lecturers have been kind enough to share their presentations to be seen again after the event.  A very valuable opportunity to reflect on any learning points.   
(I really hope virtual cvs don't becoming required - I found that example incredibly superficial, with not enough factual information to back up a serious application.  Marketing glitz irritates me anyway and there does need to be some substance to what is presented.)

No comments:

Post a Comment