Sunday 11 September 2011

Thing 15 - Attending, presenting and organising events

On the first point, attending events, I endorse this whole-heartedly as I've never been to anything without coming away with new information, new contacts and bags of enthusiasm.  This is despite not being a natural in social situations, so I'm always nervous of networking.  I've found people are really generous and I was lucky enough to go initially with a small group of more experienced folk.  They gave me advice about how to pace myself between lectures, sessions and exhibitors, all of which gave me confidence at this type of event.  (Oh and some practical hints that I've also read on some other blogs for this "thing".  Wearing something comfortable and taking a bag so you're not juggling all the bits of paper that you pick up - those two definitely chimed with me, especially if you're returning home on a crowded Friday afternoon train balancing yourself between suitcases, the refreshment trolley and other people's elbows.)
I can see the value of presenting at events too.  However, I'm still waiting for the right topic, that I know even just a little about, to jump out and say "this is what you can communicate to the world" - or to the 2 people and a dog who've come to the session to get out of the cold.
I have been meaning to see if there are enough people who would be interested in attending an informal local meeting for anyone in the process of, or considering, Revalidation (CILIP). (Probably in a pub as most coffee places are shut by the time people can reach there after work.)  Maybe I should actually get round to doing it, to kick-start some positive action for this "thing".


No comments:

Post a Comment